Wednesday, February 13, 2008

No, I'm not dead

I just haven't felt like blogging in, oh, six months or so. But I'm baaaaack!

This is what motivated me. Hopefully, it will motivate my fiction writing, too. Yes, I signed up for the 70 Days of Sweat writing challenge, and the timing couldn't be better. I finished last year's book, well, last year. New Year's Eve, as a matter of fact, was when I finished revisions. That book is now off with three beta readers, plus an editor and an agent from whom I won critiques in two completely separate contests. Wish me luck that not only will they provide some useful insight, but that they'd like to see more!

So what am I doing now? Well, like I wrote in my last post eons ago, I'm doing government work for the day job. Still there, it's going well, and I'm loving it!

My husband sold his business, and is now semi-retired. I say "semi" because he still finds plenty to do. We bought a 16-unit apartment building back in September, and he keeps busy taking care of things around there. And, best of all, he cleans house (sort of), and cooks. Boy does he ever. I'm not a bad cook, but DH is much better. Not only is his food tasty, he makes a real effort to make healthy meals. Between that, his reduced stress, and doing some intense workouts, he's managed to lose almost 30lbs. in the past three months. Now if only I could find the motivation to cut out the Mountain Dews (they're so readily available at work!), and get on the treadmill.

Back to the writing. I signed up for the challenge, and included my blog link, so I guess I'd better blog at least once in a while - more often than every six months, at least. The challenge starts 3/1, so I need to have my pre-writing finished by then. Right now, I am going through Holly Lisle's Create a Character Clinic to get some characterization stuff nailed down, then on to the outlining. These books are great! I used CCC for my last book, and I think the characterization aspects it makes you think through are one reason why my last book was my best work to date.

Now if only someone would buy or represent it...

Back to work. I've seen from my Sitemeter reports that this site still gets several hits a day (probably mostly from spambots, but maybe not?) so I'll try to post more regularly. If nothing else, to be accountable to myself for my progress these next few months.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jim Winter said...

Welcome back, Li'l Sis.

8:22 AM, February 14, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home